Dear Mr. Watterson

Dear Mr. Watterson ★★★★

If you don't like Calvin and Hobbes I don't really want to know you. There are few works of art that I'd say that about but the sheer joy and imagination on display in those panels are things you just can't argue with. Well, you can, but I'd walk away in disgust. So when I saw that there was going to be a documentary about the beloved comic strip I knew I was going to be into it. And I was, though not much new ground was covered that you might not know if you read the introductions to any of the numerous collections of the series. Bill Watterson is a recluse and doesn't appear on camera here at all, which would have been quite the coup but never was going to happen. The most compelling parts of this doc outline how much influence Watterson had on his fellow cartoonists and how his decision to have zero merchandise was seen as noble to some and stuck-up to others. I can see both sides of the argument and the movie does well to present them equally. Also great is the end where the director describes his favorite comic and why it's so good. Everybody knows the ones with the dinosaurs or the last one, but the one he chooses is a pretty great highlight of what the strip can do in both the imagination and melancholy realization that not everything will be as great as we imagine it can be. This movie could have been better but it really works as a love letter to a man and his creation.

Block or Report