Scrooged

Scrooged ★★★★

I feel like I must have seen this before, in parts if not all the way through, but outside a scene or two nothing was familiar. Well, that's not entirely true. This film's biggest problem is that it's still tied to the Christmas Carol plot, which I've seen done too many times at this point. And yes, it probably takes the most liberties with the story, but it never elevates the standard tale. I also don't buy his transformation at the end. There's no real sense of his gradual change, he's a jerk until he very abruptly isn't. That being said, I did enjoy my time here. Bobcat Goldthwait's character is my favorite, and his shotgun rampage is really fun. More fun his the scene after Murray has his revelation and recruits Goldthwait to his hijacking of the show. There's a bunch of really funny slapstick there. Murray is good as usual throughout, though sometimes his desperation for a laugh comes through and breaks the moment. Alfre Woodard is great as always, too. There's some pretty good effect and makeup work to round out a solidly told tale. I may just have to take a year or two off from this particular chestnut, it's getting a little too burnt.