Seven Samurai

Seven Samurai ★★★★

I'm only 60 years late, right? This is number 20 on IMDb's top 250. I get it. It's big, it's fun, it doesn't do anything wrong. Well, maybe not exactly on that last one. While I did enjoy the film throughout its duration, I felt all 3 and a half hours of said length. It's a massive movie about a little event. Often that kind of grand focus on a small scale allows us to treat the mundane as if it were the biggest thing in the world. That doesn't exactly happen here, but Kurosawa does invest a lot of time into the everyday as the titular force prepares the farmers that have hired them to protect their village from the nefarious bandits that roam the countryside looking for things to steal and women to rape. It's not a pleasant time, though the men here often find pleasure in their work. I grew instantly attached to one of the samurai, the wood-cutting one, and his positive outlook which masked a killer instinct. Frequent Kurosawa collaborator Toshiro Mifune is again amazing here, all energy and rage and motion. His backstory, filled in some 3 hours into the film, forms the center of the movie's conscience. It is about the difference between farmers and samurai, and the ways that those two groups can interact with each other. Because the bad guys are just samurai with no honor, no reason to be good. I don't know. I'm rambling. I liked it, I didn't love it. It's too long and the daughter, the one real female part, is just annoying. But the action is good and the characters are memorable.