Spring Breakers

Spring Breakers ★½

I get it, everybody. I totally understand what Harmony Korine was doing here. So let's not say that's the reason for the low grade. Hey, spring break probably isn't all it's cracked up to be! Maybe drugs and violence are bad! I get it, thanks.

But the real crime here isn't the obvious nature of the film, it's the intense boringness. That might seem like an oxymoron but it really is an apt description. Everything is so there, so on the nose, so in your face, so over the top, so bright and colorful and yet so very uninteresting. It looks nice, I guess. There were pretty pictures to attempt to distract me as the same dialogue gets played over and over again. They mostly didn't work. In fact, only two scenes put a smile on my face, one in which James Franco shows off all of his stuff, the other in which he and the girls sing a Brittney Spears song while dancing with guns and stuff, mixed in with a montage of them hijacking a party much like the multitude they attended earlier in the film. It was kind of a funny juxtaposition. And it looked pretty, again. If you thought this movie wasn't for you, you're probably right. If you thought this movie was for you, you're probably right, too. It is trying some different things, it's just that they're all so dumb.

Block or Report