Stoker

Stoker ★★★★½

Weird seems to be the go-to mode for Chan-wook Park. Whether it's his internt-beloved Oldboy or his much better vampire-melodrama-comedy Thirst or this, his first English language movie. He's always right on that edge between me buying completely into his films and throwing my hands up and walking away. Thankfully this one falls a little closer to the Thirst side of things in which everything is over the top and still restrained. It makes me feel like he was sitting behind the camera with a little sly smile on his face. There's a bunch of weirdnees in not only the characters and story but also the camera and sound work. Things just don't feel right, nor should they given all the happenings of the film. A girl's father dies mysteriously on her eighteenth birthday and at his funeral her uncle shows up for the first time in her life and moves himself in with her and her mother. Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, and Matthew Goode are all excellent as the girl, mother, and uncle respectively. Mia can hear things normal people can't, so the soundtrack is full of little things that would get left out of the mix in normal films (spiders walking, hairs getting brushed, the scraping of glasses on the table at dinner). And then there's the actual drama of the movie, the dashing and charismatic uncle slowly seducing both women and unraveling his true nature. It's a movie that grows into itself. At first you're watching, confused as to why the camera is acting so strangely and why these characters seem to all be weirdos. Then as things get revealed it all falls into place. The last act is among the best of the year so far as things go crazy. I like crazy. If you're going to do something, do it all the way. Stoker goes all the way and maybe even farther. And that's why I like it so much.

Alex liked this review