This Is the End

This Is the End ★★★½

This movie is at once right up my alley and not really my cup of tea. While I love a lot of apocalyptic horror, I haven't been enamored of the Apatow comedies. Only Superbad is really horrible (of the films I've seen) but none of their movies have even come close to a top whatever list of mine. So I approached this film with apprehension. Luckily, taking one of the biggest criticisms aimed at this group of actors is turned delightfully on its head when nearly everybody in the film plays a version of themselves. It's a movie of cameos short (Michael Cera is maybe the funniest part of the film) and long (the six "friends" at the core of the film). The conceit of the film is the question, "What would happen if the apocalypse was a real thing and the only people left behind were a bunch of self-centered jerks who all just happened to be actors?" Even better, the movie does a good job of probing some semi-deep ideas about how actors think of themselves and what it takes to be a good friend. This is all couched in some genuinely funny setpieces ranging from genital humor to other genital humor. But seriously, there are quite a few funny scenes and the chemistry between everybody on screen is undeniable. Also undeniable: this being a first time directorial job for Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. They do some wacky fun things and like Evil Dead and The Cabin in the Woods, I'm impressed that they went as far as they did in terms of insanity-level, but they also show a few signs of not having everything figured out yet. It's a good but not great movie lifted by the cast and conceit more than amazing directorial work. Oh, also the last five minutes are pretty awesome.

Block or Report