V/H/S/2

V/H/S/2 ★★★★

I've always thought that the found footage genre had a lot of potential. As long as each new film tries something different in either the narrative or technical realm (or both!), I'm all in. Last year's V/H/S was a bit of a mess with too many pacing problems and too much people being idiots or evil in a dumb way. The only segment of the found footage horror anthology that really worked for me was the last. Still, I was anticipating the next entry in the series in hopes that they'd learn the lessons from the previous installment.

And lo! They did! This time around there's still a dumb framing story but at least I didn't loathe the people in it. Other than that framing story there are only 4 shorts here and it takes only 95 minutes to get through all of it. This alleviates much of the pacing problems from the previous movie. Also helpful: almost all the segments are really good. Most combine a clever conceit (a zombie mounted GoPro, a digital camera eye implant that acts suspiciously like the one in that Jessica Alba movie, a doc crew gets more than they bargained for when investigating a cult, and a doggy cam captures an alien invasion force) with surprisingly strong stories and scares. The digital eye thing was the only one that I didn't really care for. It's the first in the movie and pretty quick, so no worries. Both the zombie and cult shorts escalate in really fun and sometimes terrifying ways. The former has a bit of fun with the different zombie kill methods while the latter goes maybe half a step too far with the ending, but I really loved everything up to that. Maybe the best was the last, a sleepover turned scramble from really scary aliens. That one really uses the low camera angle to great effect, along with some spectacular lighting and sound use. There was still a little bit of squeemishness for me regarding the women of the film, but, again, way way less than the first film managed. A fantastic improvement to the series, I look forward to the next installment.

Block or Report