Lady in the Water

Lady in the Water ★★★★

I had to unlearn what I’d been taught to think about this movie. Once I opened up my heart to it, just a crack, it caught me by surprise.

As a child, I enjoyed this movie and it really moved me. I used to defend it. Then, without having seen it for years, I just accepted that I had probably been wrong. It’s funny that a major theme of the movie is regaining childlike belief, because that’s what I feel like I had to do to appreciate the many good things Lady in the Water has to offer. No, I’m not kidding.

Shyamalan the director is still in command of his craft here. He weaves together events, story, and heart in a Spielbergian tapestry that’s still 100% an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Probably the most M. Night Shyamalan of any of his movies. That comes with some downsides, but it also comes with a lot of pluses. The only time he really lost me was in the immature treatment of the movie critic character. It’s a small complaint.

I love that this movie was made. Frankly, I can’t believe Shyamalan was able to pull it off. It’s so wild and so totally committed. I wonder if it came at the wrong time, and if audiences today would have embraced it more. I kind of think they would have.

I feel like I’m exposing myself to ridicule here, but there it is.

junior_mint liked these reviews