Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★

15-YEAR OLD ME: "Oh boy! A RESIDENT EVIL film and a remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD! I hope this means there will be a new wave of zombie films!"

*A FINGER ON THE MONKEY'S PAW CURLS*

Zack Snyder can craft a fun action scene, but I am baffled as to why he wanted to make ARMY OF THE DEAD.

It's a zombie heist film (There's potential there!), with a charming gang of actors (I do love Dave Bautista!), buckets of practical gore (Hooray!), and very little inventiveness (Oh no!). You can't have a great heist film without a clever plan! Or characters that are so darn generic! Sure, there are some brutal killings, but nothing that wowed me, and with a flabby structure that defuses any tension, this felt waaaaay longer than its 148 minutes. Everyone dies in the order you expect, the evilest guy in the group is *surprise* the evilest, and frustratingly, there are some interesting ideas, like Alpha Zombies and Martial Arts Zombies, that never get a chance to shine. For a film promising neon-drenched splatter as The Best Music of Las Vegas, Baby! (TM) plays - ARMY OF THE DEAD sure is a nihilistic slog.

There's a scene where our heroes walk by a giant pile of dead bodies that have dried up in the sun and someone goes "Watch out. They spring back to life when it rains." - and that NEVER HAPPENS IN THE MOVIE.

WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SHOW US!?

Justin liked this review