Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles ★★★★

Ackerman has proved less is more. There is less dialogue than your average “modern” film. I enjoyed this because it allowed focusing on the characters, the doorways, the windows, the sound of heels hitting the floor walking down hallways. The mundane sound of light switches on and off. The sight of dishes washed by hand. The peeling of potatoes, and preparing for dinner. All the ingredients that add up to an everyday life. Because life is a series of monotonous events. Isn’t it?
 This film is 3 hours and 20 minutes long. While it may not be for everyone it is for a certain audience that appreciates detail, genuine life, and focusing on characters.
Jeanne, our main character, is a widow, and has one son and she lives a rigid life. She prostitutes during the day at home for income. No more than one customer. This is where the film begins and we are introduced to our main character, Jeanne, and her repetitions in her life. This is where we learn about Jeanne and all her daily tasks. Her tasks… that are all quite similar to ours… like, making that cup of coffee, and pulling out those dishes, and cleaning them and putting them away.  So, sit back and pay attention. Because this is life and it’s also a part of your life as well.

Danielle liked these reviews