Gravity ★★★★½

A Movie A Day 2013: Day 257

Part of jvince's Top Ten Films of 2013

The Good: Believe the hype, folks. Gravity is the real deal. What Cuaron and company have done here is nothing short of amazing. Right from the get-go, you know you're in for something special. This is not just Sandra Bullock floating in space for 90 minutes; it's so much more than that. Those scenes you see in the trailers? That's just the first 30 minutes. Shit gets even crazier after that. This is 90 minutes of pure, nerve-racking tension. Genuine, intense thrills set to jaw-dropping visuals. Cuaron's Gravity is one heck of a technical marvel. His trademark penchant for long takes -- now with immersive POV shots -- along with some of the most realistic-looking CGI to date, are on full display here. Coupled with Emmanuel Lubezki's masterful cinematography and the top-notch sound work and you have an incredible, breathtaking, out-of-this-world experience unlike any other. As one person said after the show, "I felt like I was in space." Couldn't have said it any better myself. And then we have Sandra Bullock. Oh my goodness. She is fucking terrific in this. Hands down, the best role of her career. Bullock's panicky Ryan Stone perfectly complements Clooney's charming and composed Matt Kowalsky. But perhaps the most impressive thing about the film is how what at first seems like a simplistic space thriller unveils itself as a humanistic tale that I'm pretty sure audiences can relate to. You see, Ryan had lost the one person she loves -- her child. And now, because of a terrible string of bad luck, she has lost her only partner and lost contact with Earth; lost in space and lost all hope -- she has basically lost everything. Scared and alone, she contemplates giving up. However, through her character's gradual evolution (or rebirth), Ryan has immediately become one of my favorite female protagonists. You'll be rooting for her to triumph over adversity.

The Bad: Nothing major.

The Bottom Line: Now, this is how a Hollywood movie should be. A perfect balance of spectacle and substance that's equal parts mind-blowing and moving. An inspirational metaphor for life and a celebration of the human spirit; of hope; of fight; of never giving up. Sorry, Moon, but I think I've fallen in love with Gravity. Do not, I repeat, do not miss this. Highly recommended.

Gonzo liked these reviews