Inside Out

Inside Out ★★★★★

Part of jvince's Top 200 Films of All Time

jvince's Top Ten Films of 2015: #2

Pixar Feature Film Rankings

Is it better than Mad Max: Fury Road?
Agh... Inside Out is a great film, but I love Fury Road more. It's close though. Isn't it a great year for movies?

I don't know. The trailer looks childish and dumb.
It's not dumb at all. In fact, Inside Out is Pixar's most audacious effort yet. A lot of care and thought clearly went into making the movie. The orbs, core memories, islands of personality, abstract, dream productions, reality distortion filters, subconscious prison, train of thought, memory dump, long term... Brilliant stuff.

Is it funny?
Yes. Lots of great lines and comedic bits that kids and adults alike will enjoy. The two funniest parts come at the end ("GIRL! GIRL! GIRL!") and during the closing credits. I don't want to spoil it—it's hilarious—just remember not to leave the theaters right away.

Is it sad?
Oh-ho-ho, yes. If you cried on the start of Up and the end of Toy Story 3, you're going to need some Kleenex, because the ending will leave you all choked up and reduced to a sobbing mess. I 100% guarantee it.

Who's your favorite emotion?
Joy. Definitely Joy. She's awesome.

Who's your least favorite?
I don't know. I kind of like them all. Sadness can get a bit annoying, but she turns out to be a great character with some of the film's best moments involving her. If I had to choose, I guess I'd pick Disgust, just because she isn't given much to do.

That Bing Bong character seems shady. He's the bad guy, right?
There aren't any "bad guys" in this one. Bing Bong gives off a Lotso vibe at first, but he's really a nice guy. I could actually see him becoming a favorite of some moviegoers.

What's the short film before the movie? Is it good?
It's called Lava, and it's a cute story about a volcano looking for love. Stunning visuals, nice story, catchy song. That song will be stuck in your head long after you've seen the movie.

How's the 3D?
Go see it in 2D. Lava has much better 3D.

How was the audience's reaction?
They loved it. There was lots of laughing and sniffling, and everybody gave a nice applause at the end. Best response out of all the films I've seen so far this year. (Better than the Thursday midnight showing of box-office juggernaut Jurassic World and the three times I saw Fury Road).

What Pixar movie is it closer to?
It's like Toy Story, only instead of toys, it's emotions. Joy and Sadness are like Woody and Buzz and Riley is like Andy.

Joy and Sadness or Woody and Buzz?
Woody and Buzz, no contest.

Riley or Andy?
I have to go with Riley. She's just so adorable and relatable. Better character development too. As someone who moved around a lot as a child, her character hit home for me.

Toy Story or Inside Out?
Ooh, this one's tough. As much as I love the original Toy Story (the movie is a huge part of my childhood), I give the upper hand to Inside Out. I may be a bit biased though, since I love films that deal with memories (such as Marienbad, After Life, Eternal Sunshine, Inception, and Synecdoche).

How does Inside Out stack up to Pixar's other films?
I'd rank it in their top 3, behind Toy Story 3 and Up. Yup, it's that good.

So, does this mean Pixar is officially back?
Oh, they're back.

Oscars?
It's pretty much a lock to win Best Animated Film. Strong chances too to score a Best Picture nod.

What's the verdict?
Inside Out is Pixar's best film since Toy Story 3. Brilliant, imaginative, inventive, and magical, Inside Out pushes all the right buttons and evokes a wonderful spectrum of emotions. For everyone who was a kid and is a kid, this one's for you. Essential viewing.

The Scorecard: