We Are the Best!

We Are the Best! ★★★★½

Part of jvince's Top Ten Films of 2014

What's It About?: Best friends and school outcasts Bobo and Klara decide to start a punk band... except neither of the two know how to play instruments. They befriend Hedvig, a sweet but shy Christian with mad guitar skills who teaches them the basics. This is seriously fucking awesome, you guys.

Who's In it?: Mira Barkhammar, Mira Grosin, and Liv LeMoyne. Directed by Lukas Moodysson (Lilya 4-Ever, Show Me Love, Together). Based on the graphic novel Never Goodnight by his wife Coco Moodysson.

The Good: There's one thing you need to know about me: I love these kinds of movies. I fucking love them. Coming-of-age movies about bands are the most enjoyable coming-of-age movies in my book. School of Rock? I could watch that all day. Even one of my all-time favorites is this little-known—and undeniably likable—film starring Doona Bae called Linda Linda Linda (which I order you to watch right away or we can't be friends. And then after that, check out Swing Girls and die from laughter). So, yeah, I love these kinds of movies. When I found out that acclaimed Swedish director Lukas Moodysson made a film about an all-girl, high school punk band, I knew I had to see it, asap. I knew I'd love it—and I did. The screenplay by the Moodyssons is top-notch, the characters are absolutely endearing (my favorite among the three has to be Klara, the amusing, mohawk-rocking pixie with a devil-may-care, fuck-you-all attitude), the acting by the kids is outstanding, the pacing is on-point, and it is utterly hilarious. This movie is a quote goldmine.

The Bad: I wish it was longer.

What Did I Learn?: You can cook fish sticks in a toaster. Punk is not dead. ("Hate the sport!" "God is a fascist!")

The Bottom Line: Teenage rebellion has never been more fun. A charming and thoroughly entertaining coming-of-age film with hints of Hughes, Linklater, and Reiner sprinkled in. We Are the Best! is one of the best films of the year. Highly recommended.

The Scorecard: