Long Weekend

Long Weekend ★★★★★

Apart from Possession (1981) this is the most unsettling movie I've watched.

A couple whose relationship is falling apart decide to spend a weekend camping at the beach to try and save their marriage. The only problem is, they're the most hateful characters I've seen. With no respect for their surroundings they litter and kills animals. The only thing they hate more than the environment is each other. They argue over the most mundane things and lash out with the cruelest remarks they think of just to hurt one-another.

If that wasn't enough to make this weekend seem long, Mother Nature herself may be trying to kill them. Strange occurrences keep happening and they only get more and more terrifying as the movie goes on. Animals start attacking randomly, a speargun fires with no one touching it, noises resembling a baby's cry haunt them at night, another campsite is found with no one around, and the corpse of a Dugong appears to be getting closer and closer to the leads campsite.

I'm not lying when I said this movie unsettled me. From the moment the couple leave civilization it's like they crossed into another dimension. Everything about the location feels...off. It looks normal, but nothing about this place feels right. The movie really does freak me out with the ocean sunk van and the moving Dugong corpse giving me shivers up my spine.

This is top-notch film making. The sound design is perfect, the acting is rightfully intense, the story is superb, I love it all. This is one of my top 70's horror movies, hell it might be one of my top horror movies in general.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. If you have, watch it again. Greatly Recommended.

Kaijuman liked these reviews