Frances Ha ★★★★

“It's that thing when you're with someone, and you love them and they know it, and they love you and you know it... but it's a party... and you're both talking to other people, and you're laughing and shining... and you look across the room and catch each other's eyes... but - but not because you're possessive, or it's precisely sexual... but because... that is your person in this life. And it's funny and sad, but only because this life will end, and it's this secret world that exists right there in public, unnoticed, that no one else knows about. It's sort of like how they say that other dimensions exist all around us, but we don't have the ability to perceive them. That's - That's what I want out of a relationship. Or just life, I guess.”

I had to include the entire quote. This specific part meant so much to me, it put into words a feeling about love that I’ve never been able to describe, but have always felt weigh heavy on my judgement of my own relationships. After it ended I kind of just stared at the screen, smiling. I can’t really explain it but I’m both happy and sad, and overwhelmed by this feeling that I’m sure will linger for a couple of days.

kallista liked these reviews