Y Tu Mamá También

Y Tu Mamá También ★★★★★

W O W.
I went into this with huge expectations, since I love everything that Cuaron has done, but I didn't expect it to be so fantastic.
It's not only the longtakes, the chemistry between the three leads, the casuality of the dialogue, its especially the contrasting political and socioeconomical backdrop that lifts this already sophisticated coming of age story beyond most others.
Cuaron is very good at making the background setting into a character of its own, Children of Men was a masterclass in that aspect, but Y tu mamá también doesn't have to hide behind it at all, the contrast between the societal issues and the two main characters, who belong to the upper class and seem to be out of touch not only with themselves, but also with their surroundings, makes this story way more complex then one would imagine.
The use of voiceover seems a bit off-putting at first, since it fades out the naturalistic sound backdrop, but it might be one of my favorite uses of voice-over in a film, since it enriches the setting and the characters so much.
The ending might seem just dramatic for the sake of being dramatic, but the political mirroring that is introduced gives it much more depth and shows how change has to happen on the inside, not only on the outside.

And obviously this is one of the sexiest movies I have ever seen, Gael García Bernal and Diego Luna in this are...wow.

Jamaal liked this review