Parasite ★★★★½

Anxiety, the movie.

This film was so many things. I really don't know what to say about this film. The cinematography was superb, the lighting differences between the slums of Korea and the upper class help the audience empathize with the characters. With the Park family, we feel the light, airy elegance they find themselves in. Nothing in life seems to phase this family because they do not find themselves in stressful situations besides what to cook for a birthday dinner. The lighting and tone change for the Kim family as we see the dirty squalid quarters where they live. This is then heightened ten fold in the third act of the movie with the even more grimy underground tunnel. The audience feels the claustrophobic living space and the despair that follows this family.

The film had so much of what makes a film good. The acting was believable and realistic, the camera work and lighting worked together effortlessly, the score made your skin crawl, and the story was brutal. Overall, a beautifully crafted film that leaves the audiences wanting...maybe a bit less.

Kevin liked this review