Blindspotting ★★★★½

It was a little surprising to me how comedic this film was. Every trailer made it seem pretty tense and serious, yet a decent majority of it was pretty "mellow" and lighthearted. The more serious scenes concerning police brutality and institutional racism are rather sporadic, with the film trying to build the world around the characters as well as developing the characters themselves so that the political themes hit more aptly.

A great sense of self-awareness makes this a very rewarding watch. A few months ago, I probably would've sneered at the use of rap as Diggs's character's form of communication, but a recent (and unusual) English class gave me a new perspective on rap as an art piece, so I found it appropriate. The race relations concerning the two main leads—along with the parallels made between "tough" or "hood" members of society with the police force they so harshly despise—make this a poignant part of American society today that may resonate more dully overtime.

I thought the tonal shifts were a tad abrupt, especially near the end, but that's the only superb negative criticism I could provide for Blindspotting. Everything else would be little more than nitpicking. Really good performances and a moving penultimate scene make this worth watching almost on their own.