Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★½

I've heard good things about Django Unchained. I've never seen it until now. Honestly, the first half of the film, I was completely enthralled and invested. If the movie had ended with Dr. Schultz and Monsieur Candie shaking hands and Django getting his wife back, or even just Dr. Schultz shooting Candie and him and Django back to back, shooting up every slaver in the place, then I'd probably give it 5 stars.

However, once Dr. Schultz dies, the rest of the movie felt kinda boring to me. It wasn't necessarily because Schultz died, but it was just because the rest is Django just shooting and shooting and shooting and shooting. I'm sure many would disagree with me. I'm sure many would say my preference for how the movie should have ended would have been boring. But with Schultz and even Candie, the movie felt like it dried up a bit.

The only part I particularly liked after Schultz's death was when Django tricked the guys with the bounty in his pocket and released those slaves. That was pretty good. The heavy assault on Candyland, though? Eh. Not for me.

But overall, the first half of the movie was absolutely fantastic and I loved the duo of Django and Dr. Schultz. And then that one scene I liked near the end. So I give it 3.5 stars. Pretty good, I just wish it had kept my attention the same way in the second half. Or the second "half" was more like the last fourth (in other words, shorter).