Midsommar

Midsommar

Here's a hot take for ya, I watched this opening day and I never rated it because I didn't really like it that much. But I'm probably going to give it another chance and see the director's cut, so here were my thoughts from after the first viewing. My main issue was Christian. He surrounded a lot of the heavy topics that the movie was covering but I just didn't feel like his character was fleshed out enough. I found myself feeling very indifferent towards him. It seemed like I was supposed to hate hated this selfish guy who was totally dismissive of Dani's emotional trauma. But that fell short for me. Maybe it's because his friends were a lot worse and that overshadowed Christian's characterization for me. Anyway, that's why the ending sorta lost effect for me. I think from Dani's perspective, when she smiles, it is a moment of relief because she is finally free of that relationship and has gained a new family who can provide emotional support for her. But it just didn't all come together for me because I didn't hate Christian but I didn't like him either...I was just indifferent, not caught between two sides. All the film's emotions were climaxing in the last moments but its impact was lost on me and not as cathartic as it should have been. Hopefully in the director's cut more pieces will be put together, like more scenes of Dani losing her grip on sanity, or more for Christian's character. Don't come at me for this review but I'm looking forward to the rewatch -- I'm sure my opinion will change and that's why I'm writing this now. Rating to come soon!

katelyn liked these reviews