Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw ★★

I thought the lame Game of Thrones references at the beginning were going to be my least favorite part, but then the rest of the movie happened. I’ve been a fan of the last few Fast & Furious movies. They’re big, dumb action movies in the best way possible. Hobbs and Shaw is dumb, but it also fails at every attempt it makes to be funny. Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are under the impression they’re cool, but they’re just egomaniacal assholes. The best part of my theater experience was seeing the trailer for the new Nolan movie, Tenet. Looks dope!

Edit 1:24 PM 8/31/19: Damn, that new Nolan movie looks so cool! It opens on a awesome shot of John David Washington through a foggy glass window with a spiderweb crack bullet hole, and then starts moving in a loop or something. What is he doing? Where is this going? Is it secretly a inception/blackkklansman crossover? I don’t know, but I certainly can’t wait to find out! I just realized the word “tenet” is a palindrome, so I wonder if he has the ability to bend time or something. I enjoyed Dunkirk more than most of my peers, but I’m glad Nolan is getting back to his high concept thrillers lead by obsessive men in suits. I’ve been a little wary about fanboying over Nolan, since every dumb film bro never shuts the fuck up about him. However, he’s one the last auteurs making original films with blockbuster sized budgets. I’m happy I’ll get to see an original high budget film on 70mm next year. Oh and Hobbs and Shaw still sucks.

Keegan liked these reviews