2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★

The first time I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey, I actually didn’t really like it. While I’ve obviously come around on it by now, I can still see little glimpses of where I was coming from.

2001: A Space Odyssey is quite possibly the most unique movie I’ve ever seen. Nothing about it is similar to another movie. It’s seriously unlike anything you’ve ever seen before.

The soundtrack of this film is also just so iconic. It made some already-amazing scenes of the movie unforgettable. The art direction and production design were gorgeous, as well. The sets in this film are simply incredible. The colors popped and made everything look amazing, too. But without a doubt, the standout here is the cinematography. I think it’s safe to say this movie honestly has the greatest cinematography of any movie I’ve ever seen. Every single frame of this film could be placed in an art museum and still be the most beautiful thing in the room. I literally can’t fathom how some of these camera angles were set up. There also aren’t very many cuts because there’s always something interesting to look at.

I don’t know where Stanley Kubrick comes up with ideas for a movie like this. As I said before, this is literally unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. However, chances are, most movies that you’ve seen have an engaging plot. That’s really just the one thing I didn’t like about this movie, but unfortunately, it affects a lot of tiny aspects.

While 2001 does look stunning, there’s more shots establishing the setting and mood than there are shots telling the story. I feel like if you had to get up at any point during the movie, you wouldn’t miss anything. The dialogue is scarce, and that in turn makes it difficult to care for any of the characters. Ironically, the most memorable character was a robot. The movie also didn’t have to be as long as it was, since its actual plot didn’t really require very much time to play out. With all of this said, I still do appreciate the film for trying something new.

2001: A Space Odyssey is an extraordinary movie, no doubt. I admit that I feel like I’m missing something, but that doesn’t take away from the positives I think it already has. If you haven’t watched this yet, go in with an open mind, because nothing can prepare you for what you are about to see.

KeatonTarantino liked these reviews