Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day ★★★★

I don’t understand how someone could not like Groundhog Day. Bill Murray really is a national treasure, and this movie features some of his best work.

This is just such a fluffy movie! Despite its innovative plot (which I’ll get to in a moment), it’s actually a pretty light and simple film. It honestly made me forget about all my other stresses, making it both entertaining and captivating.

One of the best aspects of Groundhog Day is its story. So many movies have tried to redo the time-loop idea, but none of them have ever beaten the original here. It feels very creative and fresh this time around. It’s also incredibly entertaining, as I said, to watch Bill Murray adapt to his situation in the most Bill-Murray-ways possible. His performance was fabulous.

Problems I have with this film are very scarce, but not nonexistent. I do think it could’ve gotten more emotional on quite a few occasions, but for some reason it feels like it’s holding back. Some of that is partially due to the cameraman character (Chris Elliott), who had a few misplaced comedic moments in my opinion. That’s basically it; I just think this movie could’ve been more powerful and raised the stakes more, but it instead opts to be a light 90’s rom/com (but a great one at that!).

All in all, Groundhog Day is an instant classic. It’s as funny as it is heartwarming, which is more than enough for me to call it enjoyable.

KeatonTarantino liked these reviews