One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★★

Part of the "Let’s clean out that old Watchlist! September challenge": boxd.it/76Vi

A very shameful first watch for me. Not sure why I held off on watching this for so long; I bought the Blu-ray around four years and approximately three serious girlfriends ago. I think I expected something depressing and not that fun to watch, but boy was I wrong on that last bit. This movie is a blast!

Nicholson is truly fantastic as Mac and in fact it could be the best I have ever seen him. He handles the comedy brilliantly, but he also portrays the emotional pieces so well. His expressions and reactions to what is going on around him are just amazing. The thought of anyone else doing this role (I know James Caan and Burt Reynolds were who they originally wanted) is unfathomable to me.

All of the supporting cast is fantastic as well, particularly Brad Dourif who really epitomizes the emotionally and mentally troubled youngster. Surrounded by all of the other excellent supporting cast, it made for one hell of an ensemble.

This was an amazing accomplishment, taking what could have been a real slog of a film, but turning it into an extremely enjoyable watch but with some real heart at the centre of it. That two hours just flew by.

Len liked these reviews