The Witch

The Witch ★★★★

"Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?"

This movie is, without any doubt, one of A24's greatest masterpieces, beside Midsommar, Hereditary, and The Lighthouse. Cult horror is actually one of my favourite genres, because it has the potential to convey and expose the darker side of people we rarely see. This movie is one of those few movies which become even better with multiple rewatches, because suddenly you get to notice some points you didn't get in the first watch. The kind of plot being shown in this movie actually intrigues me the most compared to any possible horror plot. Seeing someone who was experiencing unimaginable hardships daily and hoping to the higher powers to no avail, only to find the comfort in the darkness at the end, gives me an eerily scary yet liberating feeling at times. I also had a conversation once about how Midsommar and this movie portray, to some degree, the journey of how someone can be fanatics, and during this rewatch i felt shocked to the core in realising that this kind of journey could happen to anyone.

"I am that very witch. When I sleep my spirit slips away from my body and dances naked with The Devil. That's how I signed his book."

The reason why this movie is a modern masterpiece lies not only in the narrative aspect, but also in the technical aspect. Anya Taylor-Joy delivered a marvellous performance as a breakthrough actress on this one (Anya Taylor-Joy in blood? that's cinema). The boy who played Caleb also managed to give me the kind of uneasy, eerie feeling i have never felt before through his performance. The cinematography was one of the best from A24 and also added more goosebumps to the overall film. In the end, this movie will stay one of the best of the 2010s decade.

KemalAthalla liked this review