Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone ★★★★½

“You’re a wizard Harry”

This film was directed by Chris Columbus and Stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman, and Richard Harris.

I’m a massive Harry Potter fan, I grew up with these movie so I may have a bit of a bias towards them. First of all I have to say this Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint all deliver some of the greatest child performances of all time. You can definitely see a lot of chemistry between all them, and they are all perfectly casted as there characters. Chris Columbus does a fantastic job directing this film, he has always does an amazing directing children in movies, probably the best example being home alone. He has written some of the best classic children adventure films (Goonies, adventures on babysitting) from what I’ve heard he’s one of the most patient director out there when it comes to working with kids. John Williams delivers yet again one of the most iconic movie scores of all time, and in my opinion this one is right next to Star Wars when it comes to my favorite work of his.

This film has a huge job to do, with having to introduce us to the world and the characters and in doing that it does lose some of its main story focus. The plot and antagonist for the film get introduced to us really towards the end of the movie which is probably my biggest issue with the film. But again I can forgive it for that because of how much this film has to deliver on. The effects for the movie really hold up and I was really impressed. There was one thing that didn’t hold up though (the quidditch scene). The quidditch scenes CGI does not hold up at all, but again I can forgive it for that seeing as how it came out almost 20 years ago and how it would become progressively better through each sequel.

Overall I LOVE Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone and I’m so happy this movie was good because we never would have gotten any of the incredible sequels that would follow later if it wasn’t.

9/10

“It's leviOsa, not levioSA.”

My Chamber of Secrets Review: boxd.it/1waa0B