The Witch

The Witch ★★★★

Robert Eggers has a pretty twisted imagination. I really liked the atmosphere and the use of the time period. The performances were great all around. There were some incredibly disturbing and gross scenes that definitely stuck with me throughout the entire film and long after it ended. I don’t know how I feel about the ending, I got heavy “The Lighthouse” vibes from the ending where I was left wondering what the hell I just watched, I think I liked it but at the same time I feel kinda confused and weirded out. All the “horror” elements with the actual Witch were super well done, I enjoy Robert Eggers style a lot but there’s definitely things I could’ve done without. I think sometimes when the filmmaker implies something and leaves it up to the viewers imagination it makes for a more intense and pleasurable viewing experience. With Eggers on the other hand he flat out shows everything and I don’t know if I like that, then again maybe that’s just me.

Overall this film was GREAT and I very much look forward to seeing what Eggers does next with Nostferatu.

8/10