It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown ★★

'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' is 52 years old. Now I am a huge fan of Charles Schultz, who died when I was in high school. But except as a VERY small child I didn't have the patience for Peanuts animated specials. Which is to say, bluntly, some things are timeless Bill Melendez's cartoons are not. Although there are no hippy's and peace signs 'Great Pumpkin' is very much a product of the sixties. Cartoons have evolved in 52 years. Hand painted backgrounds and Vince Guaraldi music are still nice to look at and hear, but what hold can it hope to have on a casual viewer? Frankly stuff like this is why people think Peanuts sucks.

'I don't mind your dishonesty half as much as I mind your opinion of me.'

This style of storytelling has been coopted by cartoons like 'Veggie Tales' to market ideological propaganda to kids. At least Peanuts was unencumbered by 'messages'.

'You can look all around, and, not a sign of hypocrisy, only sincerity, as far as the eye can see.'

So save Peanuts cartoons until curiosity draws you to them. Giving them to a 21st century kid might have them telling you ' [you want to] see me lie flat on my back and kill myself'.

Patrick liked these reviews