The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★

Note: I was in a bit of a rush writing this review, so it's not very good. I'll probably go back and edit it, but for now, here's my thoughts.

The Wolf of Wall Street is a terrific piece of entertainment filled with great energy and one hell of an ensemble cast. At a massive length of three hours, I was never bored nor did I want the movie to end. In fact, a good argument could be made for a longer cut. I still wanted to follow Jordan Belfort and learn more about him.

Leonardo DiCaprio, as expected from a Scorsese collaboration, is brilliant as a despicable man with no sense of morality. The only thing he has going for him is his charisma. Not since Catch Me If You Can has he played a character who is so smart, witty, and funny. It's good to see DiCaprio expand his range a bit. That lemmons sequence shows that he can do physical comedy.

While Belfort is a terrible person, even worse is his sidekick, Donnie Azoff. Jonah Hill gives a great performance, but this character is creepy and has no redeeming qualities. It's been a while since I deeply hated a character to a point where I wanted to strangle him.

The entire cast, particularly Matthew McConaughey, Rob Reiner, Margot Robbie, and the little group that Belfort gathers up for Stratton Oakland, is terrific. A movie could be made from their perspectives and I would gladly see it.

The commentary, while nothing new, is relevant and handled well in the film, especially in that last scene. The film is also a great character study of Belfort and I really loved that shot of Kyle Chandler in the subway. Just a little scene like that shows us why Belfort became who he was.

I had high expectations for this walking in, and the movie delivered. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Even the trailers make me want to see the film again.

Langdon liked these reviews