La Haine

La Haine ★★★★★

“I feel like an ant lost in intergalactic space.”

Set in the aftermath was of a violent riot, three friends from “the projects” wander around all day as they await news of their friend’s condition after he was badly hurt the night before. Whether it is by being optimistic or preparing for the worst by planning to seek revenge, they dwell in the worry and try to deal with the reality that is slowly setting in. They feel as though the system is against them, and for the most part it is, which puts them in a state of anger as they are seen as a threat. That is exactly the main theme of the film; the frustration and agony the characters are feeling comes through and it feels raw, whether you relate to it or not. From beginning to end, it takes on a very natural pace that allows the story to shine even brighter, especially considering it all takes place within 24 hours, thanks to the wonderful writing that was also aided by stellar performances from Vincent Cassel, Hubert Coundé and Saïd Taghmaoui.
Films like this make me rethink all my previous five star ratings as they feel like something much more special than anything I’ve seen before. I would even go as far as to say this is at the same level as Persona in terms of how great and unique it is, which to me says a lot.

It’s not the fall that kills you. It’s the landing.”

kev. liked these reviews