Your Name.

Your Name. ★★★★½

I haven't seen a huge amount of Japanese animated stuff, pretty much only the Ghibli but this was getting a lot of love so I was keen to give it a go. And I really liked it as it turned out.

A teen body swap film might not be the sort of thing to really grab your interest but this film is so much more than that. Of course the body swap format gives rise to some great humour (one running joke in particular is funny every time), but there's another story thrown into this film that was I found completely unexpected and had a real emotional heft to it.

The two characters are nicely written and how their lives develop as the film goes on is really well done. I really liked how the film just plops you right in the middle of this happening and then proceeds to mess with time so you're never entirely sure how long this has been going and how much we're seeing. I found it a little bit confusing to begin with, but nothing too alarming.

I must say that it looks fantastic, not only does it contain lots of lovely attention to detail but it even mixes up the art style with a little animated pastel scene at one point.

I might even end up buying this when it comes out on disc, I can think of no higher praise.