Mystic River

Mystic River ★★½

Based on the praise this movie gets, I was expecting it to be a lot better. I wasn’t at all impressed and there was only a few enjoyable aspects to this film, but overall this was a very weak thriller that I just didn’t enjoy.

The best part of the movie is that there’s some really good moments of tension. They utilize it in some scenes that are able to heighten the experience of what’s to come, which made it all the interesting to watch. Ultimately, the real flaw behind the movie is the poorly written ending and obvious choice as to who the killer is. Most of the acting was good, but there’s a few moments in the movie where there’s overacting and laughable reactions.

The ending was pretty piss poor and we don’t really get to see the outcome of what will happen to Sean Penn’s character. I’m assuming Kevin Bacon is now going to try and arrest him, but the movie would have been a lot more solid if we just had Sean Penn get arrested by the end. Also, his wife in the movie, who’s barely in the entire film, happens to have some weird fetish for her husband committing crimes in the namesake of family and flaunts this at the ending? There’s like a weird tension between her and the other wife in the ending that never felt addressed in the film, making it feel very random.

Could have been a much better film, but honestly the pacing was a bit slow and dull at times, especially with an on and off color grading, but I was hoping the ending would at least make this a worthwhile watch. It just wasn’t really wasn’t at all based on the stupid finale.

KingCobain liked these reviews