Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame ★★★★★

Viewed in IMAX

You gonna tell me about her?

No... no, I don’t think I will.

The perfect finale. Characters have evolved so much since the decimation. The Russo brothers subvert every expectation we could have had. After such a devastating and discouraging climax, what would they even do? Where do we go, now that they’re gone?
The groundwork for this movie is wonderful. Characters, Earth’s mightiest heroes, laid absolutely bare by their failure; they’re faced with a future where they have to deal with that every day. We’re given the most human and emotional film in the MCU here - never have we seen the characters in places so dark, living in ruins like this. My favorite scenes in this are those depicting our Avengers living out their semblances of normal life. Tony, with his lake house and family, Steve, with his support groups and personal guilt, Thor, with his beer gut and sunglasses.
But when the going gets going in Endgame, it absolutely takes off. This movie is an absolute blast - revisiting the greatest hits of the franchise and giving a whole new appreciation for them. The time-travel plot feels genuine, like its their absolute last chance.
This movie is miraculous. It works so well and it pays off, truly. There’s real finality here, a sense of completion, absolute triumph.
Robert Downey, Jr. has a scene here that solidified his role as the best performer in the franchise. He goes OFF on his fellow Avengers, mostly Cap, and the hurt in both their eyes is clear. This is his movie.
Chris Evans? What a role, what a fucking story for Steve Rogers. The perfect ending for this character, a truly beautiful swan song. This film wraps up his arc better than anyone’s - it’s so moving.
Moving - that’s the word for Avengers: Endgame. This is a landmark film for the genre, and it’ll be the gold standard for blockbusters from now on. Yes, it cost $400 million to make, yes, it stars every person in the universe - but this is an intimately told story of failure and making a comeback from it - a story of Avenging.

Andrew | A.J. liked these reviews