The Irishman

The Irishman ★★★★★

Cinema for the ages. The ultimate gangster film, an epic so sprawling, intimate, and human - it bests them all. Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman, or I Heard You Paint Houses, is the story of time, how it catches up to you. It doesn’t matter who you worked for, what you did, where you’ve been, how good you did - we all end the same way. This is like a tribute to life. If anything, this might actually be Scorsese’s best film ever. The way he weaves characters, interactions, emotions, and decades of storytelling is just superb beyond belief. The Irishman could not have been made by any other filmmaker, or any other way. De Niro is magnetic, Pacino is electric, Pesci is brilliantly stoic. The trio of actors deliver performances to remember for decades to come. The ferocity with which Pacino lets loose his rages is stunning, and even more so how sinisterly he delivers, “Nobody threatens Hoffa.” I mean, this is by far, by far, no questions asked, a masterwork. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a film like this and I think it’ll be a long time until we get one anything close to it. The Irishman is a brilliant piece of art, of humanity, of secrets, regret, and a lifetime of violence.

Block or Report