Bone Tomahawk

Bone Tomahawk ★★★★

Movie idea: Jack Ketchum's Off Season, but as a Western!

Of course, I gleamed that just from the summary, which is what got me interested in the movie in the first place.

"This is why frontier life is so difficult. Not because of the Indians or the elements but because of the idiots."

I quite enjoyed this. It's a slow burn, but it keeps the tension throughout.

The majority of the movie follows four men on a suicide mission to rescue people abducted by cannibals. The characters are fully formed, each having their own distinct personality, making for entertaining banter and clashes. Even the wife feels like a person rather than a plot device.

Everything looks great, from the cinematography to the props to the special effects, it's all very impressive. I can't believe this was made on a budget of $1.8 million. I was so engrossed in the movie I wasn't even thinking about the practical effects used for the gore, which is a testament to how good the movie is and also how good the effects are that they didn't distract me and take me out of story.

A very well done Western that creates horror from cowboys and Indians with violence, butchery, and excellent sound design.