Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★½

"Well, get ready for a 800-foot statue of Pac-Man with Skeletor and Heather Locklear... I'm gonna make some weird shit."

I just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D.

Holy shit, it's spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen anything as cool as the Yondu-taking-everyone-out-with-his-arrow scene in huge-ass 3D. That was frickin' beautiful. I couldn't stop smiling. I wish I had my own IMAX theater so I could watch that scene every day for the rest of my life.

On my first viewing, the movie felt a little disjointed. It didn't bother me at all on this second viewing, which makes makes me think that maybe the pacing is fine, and the problem is audiences' given expectations of a Marvel movie's structure. Anyway, yeah, the second viewing was even more enjoyable than my first viewing. A super duper hell of a lot of fun.

This is a great, character-driven movie. The emotional moments are well done and powerful. The first movie has the characters thrust together to form a team, and in Vol. 2 they bond into a family. The actors have great chemistry.

I'm going to repeat what I said in my first review: Michael Rooker really nails it in Vol. 2. Yondu has some great moments, and his arrow is the coolest. Plus, Rooker really manages to rock that new fin.

"You like a professional asshole or what?"

Let's also take a moment to appreciate how awesome Rocket is. He may be a computer-generated raccoon, but he has so much life and personality. The detail that goes into him, from his fur to his facial expressions to his posture, is all just so impressive. And every time Rocket appears in one of Marvel's cartoons, I'm disappointed by his voice, because Bradley Cooper's version is frickin' perfection.

One note: IMAX is really, really loud. I don't see movies in IMAX very often (last time I saw one was the first Guardians movie... I would've seen Doctor Strange in IMAX 3D, if it hadn't been shoved out so quickly), but I'm ordering some high fidelity ear plugs so that next time I do, I'll be prepared.

Jennifer liked these reviews