The Circle ★★

"She comes to learn that her decisions and actions will determine the future of humanity." Hey, movie summary, don't you think you're overdoing it a bit?

The Circle tries to clumsily ask some questions with stilted dialogue, but it stumbles about and doesn't follow through. Things more interesting than what we're watching flash by and aren't explored.

None of the characters are well developed. It feels like this movie drops the ball with all of its subplots, and it half-asses the ending to its main plot. We barely know Mercer. With the parents, we're told the dad's getting better, but we don't really see it. Annie suddenly goes from bouncy to burned out, with nothing really leading to it and barely a word about it after. Ty is all doom and gloom, but his reasons why aren't really explored.

Mae goes from guppy to Kool-Aid enthusiast to rebel, but it feels forced; it never feels like her character grows or develops. At the end, she smiles at the drones watching her. She's lost the privacy of her alone time, and she's happy about it? But... I thought she'd learned stuff? Yeah, Mae is all over the place as a character.

I want to know what's in those super-secret scrambled emails. That sounds like an interesting read.

Best moments? "We are so fucked." Also, Mae sarcastically saying she loves following strangers down dark corridors.

Jennifer liked these reviews