Spontaneous Combustion

Spontaneous Combustion

What I really appreciate about Hooper is that he seems to study and research old traditional horror movies very well. But then, he manages to adapt them to contemporary settings. I also like to study and research the old films very thoroughly. But then, you can't just remake them. You have to think how to adapt or adjust them to a contemporary setting. So when I watched Spontaneous Combustion, I started to think that maybe this guy had the same idea about making horror movies as I had. So I feel something in common with him. If you look at the old ghost or horror movies, there's always a graveyard, a cemetery, or an old castle. And that's where the ghosts appear. But there is nothing surprising about that anymore. So you have to think about that in a normal modern town, where people don't expect ghosts to appear. So how can we have them appear in a setting like that, and how can we make that scary? A lot of people would consider the idea of a ghost story as being very childish, but I prefer to think of it as it relates to death. And this has been a very difficult and deep theme for thousands of years in religion and philosophy. People have thought for a long time about the question of death and they still haven't come up with an answer. So if I think about that, maybe an easy image to use to express death is that of a ghost. So if you have this modern town setting, with modern houses, and computers -- things which people don't associate with death at all -- no matter how modernist you are, you won't be able to escape. Even if you try to deny it and forget about it, it will always be there.