Parasite ★★★★★

95/100

For a more in depth review, check my initial thoughts after my first viewing HERE. My takeaways from my first time still stand strong as this is one special film!

Even though I knew what was lurking with each scene and how the madness was going to unfold, it was still an absolute treat to sit through it another time. Best thing was, I had been talking it up all week to my friends, so seeing the four of them covering their eyes, laughing hysterically, clenching their seats, and jaws on the floor was so fun. They couldn’t believe what was happening and how their expectations were completely diverted, blown away, or not even comprehendible on so many levels. I was also able to appreciate some subtleties, pick out elements in the score that really elevated sequences, and dive deeper into the themes.

Director Joon-ho Bong manages everything so perfectly, from making Parasite a convulsive thriller that makes your skin crawl, to flipping it on its head to be a cultured comedy, followed by a mix of tension filled drama that’ll leave you exhausted. The performances all work so fluidly alongside one another as they are all so peculiar in their own way. It has you in its’ control from the start and doesn’t let go until the credits hit. It’s hard to put into words.

Basically, when you're making your most anticipated of the year list, put this at the top! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

KJ liked these reviews