The Babadook ★★★½

Intelligent horror.

To me, The Babadook represents the mother's fears/guilt/anger/despair, etc. (but that's just a theory). It isn't just a plot-less horror film where it's just like BAM! we scared you. And the fact that it was directed/written/produced by and starring a woman is a bonus for me.

(More info: Amelia, a widowed orderly, has raised her son Samuel alone following her husband's tragic death. Sam begins displaying erratic behavior: he rarely sleeps through the night and is constantly preoccupied with an imaginary monster, which he has built weapons to fight. Amelia is forced to take her son out of school due to his ongoing behavioral problems. One night, Sam asks his mother to read from a mysterious pop-up storybook he found on his shelf. The story, titled "Mister Babadook," is about a supernatural creature that, once someone is made aware of its existence, torments that person indefinitely. Amelia is disturbed by the book's contents, while a traumatized Sam becomes convinced that the Babadook is stalking them in their home...)

PS: William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist, said this is the most terrifying movie he's ever seen so that might be interesting enough for some of you.

Chloé liked this review