Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust ★★★★½

Note: Since getting the Grindhouse Releasing Blu-Ray when it came out years ago, I always watch the "cruelty-free" cut, which was included at Deodato's insistence. I prefer to skip the real animal murder, though I also believe it in no way invalidates the greatness of the film.

What can you say about Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust that hasn't already been said a thousand times? There are lesser-known, more graphic flicks, but the forefather of the found-footage genre is the most controversial horror film of all-time, for many reasons. Unrelenting in its carnage and uncompromising in its social messaging, the film shows that "civilized" westerners can be just as cruel and barbaric as tribal cannibals. At least for the tribe, it's the only way of life they know. The white visitors have no such excuse. A few years ago, Eli Roth attempted to essentially remake Cannibal Holocaust. In lieu of shocking gore and provocative commentary, The Green Inferno utilizes diarrhea jokes and a pathetically stale "SJWs, am I right?" tone that isn't even clever enough to be called satire. If you want a cannibal flick, stick with the one that matters. My lone nitpick, aside from the animal violence that has been addressed billions of times, is that the final line of dialogue is far too on-the-nose, directly stating the film's thesis to the audience.

histoire(s) du kong liked these reviews