Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame

I'm very disappointed ngl.

Maybe my expectations were too high after Infinity War surprised me with how it was able to fit so many different characters into one movie and combine all these stories into something compelling and new.

I actually liked the 5 years later part. It was interesting to see how the different characters would deal with the whole situation and I think that part was handled pretty well.

But this movie had the exact problem that I was scared of a couple of movies ago: Trying to fit too many people into it. And the thing is: The runtime is longer than Infinity War and for a good amount of the runtime it's basically just the 'old avengers', but at some point it still ends up feeling too crowded and as if they wanted to say 'remember that person' more than anything else. It's the big finale, I get it, but it doesn't do a lot of characters any justice. (#Lokideservedbetter)

The movie definitely feels epic. It was very exciting for me to see how they were going to figure everything out, but I still can't shake the feeling that this feels like a massive disappointment. It's messy. The pacing is incredibly weird. Captain Marvel's overpowered ass shows up to save the day whenever she feels like it. I don't like how they handled the Thanos thing at all. The closer we got to the end the more frustrated I became.

How they handled Thor's storyline pissed me off so much. He could have had the best story in this movie after losing so much and feeling all this guilt, but they decided to make it kind of a joke instead because that's just what he is at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely had some tears in my eyes at certain points too - I'm not heartless! And even though I've only started my marathon of these movies very recently, some of these characters definitely made it into my heart and I care about them very much. Maybe that's why I don't like how some of their endings feel like complete bullshit. On one hand they want to bring everyone back for a second and show the complexity of it all, on the other hand they completely ignore some of the characters developments throughout the years for... what? Idk convenience maybe.

There's a lot more going through my mind rn, but I think I need to sleep on this a little. It's all very frustrating.

lea liked these reviews