Film Title Poem

Genres: Experimental Documentary
Director: Jennifer West
Writer: n/a
Main Cast: n/a

There is an introduction by director Jennifer West for her art project/experimental documentary that is instrumental in giving meaning and making you appreciate her work much more.

Released on MUBI around the same time as Just Don't Think I'll Scream, Film Title Poem makes for an interesting juxtaposition: both are deeply personal films about their creators and their borderline obsessive love for cinema, and both use archival footage to great effect. In this one, West uses no narration, a mixture of repeating film scores and silence, and title cards of 500 of her favorite films to make the audience reflect on the memories we all have with films we love.

It's a fascinating experiment, one that definitely works better in the context of an art museum, but reading that West herself wouldn't hold it against anyone if they drifted off or paused or moved the film forward. There are some clever title associations here and there, and while I immensely respect this and applaud her efforts (hand-scratching the entire film must have taken forever), I also think this will be too alienating for most people and that needing to read an introduction to appreciate it shouldn't be mandatory.

Story: 7

Violence & Gore: 0
Sex & Nudity: 0
Drugs & Profanity: 0
Intensity & Horror: 0

Follow me on YouTube, where I review movies and video games

Nicolò liked these reviews