Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

37/78 of Keeping Up with the Boxes: January-February 2018

I thought I was going into Mulholland Drive well-equipped: I had watched most of Lynch's previous films and never felt like they were confusing or hard to follow; I knew almost nothing of this film, except that it was going to be a challenge; I was ready to use all my wits and my attention to fully understand it.

Guys... I failed.

Mulholland Drive destroyed me. David Lynch has finally outsmarted and defeated me.

The last 40 minutes of this film had me floored. I didn't know what was going, yet I loved every second of it. The best way to describe this film is as an answer-less puzzle: you got all the pieces, and they can fit in any way you want. Lynch has always wanted to make viewers work a little for their entertainment, but the whole goal of Mulholland Drive is not to be spoon-fed, rather to challenge you by playing around with editing, camera tricks, and narrative conventions.

It is going to take me another rewatch before I can properly talk about this cinematic masterpiece (now I understand why this is considered one of the best films of all time by so many people). All I can say right now is: the Club Silencio scene is among my instant favorites!

Story: 10

Violence & Gore: 7
Sex & Nudity: 7.5
Drugs & Profanity: 5
Intensity & Horror: 7

Follow me on YouTube, where I review movies and video games

Nicolò liked these reviews