Mulholland Drive

Genres: Mystery; Thriller; Drama
Director: David Lynch
Writer: David Lynch
Main Cast: Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Justin Theroux, Ann Miller

It'll be just like in the movies. Pretending to be somebody else.

I tend to think of myself as someone who has pretty good memory when it comes to films I have seen, at least as far as the general narrative and order of scenes are concerned. Going into my rewatch of Mulholland Drive, I was remembering all of the scenes almost to a tee, yet, while watching the film, some of them were in wildly different order. I don't see this as faulty memory, rather the spellbinding power this film can have on those who watch it for the first time.

Now that I have had two years to think about it, I feel pretty confident in saying that Mulholland Drive is David Lynch's best film. While Blue Velvet is my personal favorite and one I revisit often, and Twin Peaks: The Return is simply out of this world, this is his most accomplished work.

The power of the film stems from a multitude of elements. Lynch's direction is absolutely on point, and here it is clearer even more so than in other films just how much in control he is of the story he has crafted, from the sounds to the scene transitions. Watts, Harring, and Theroux are phenomenal in this, Naomi especially delivering a truly award-worthy performance that she has yet to match in anything she's done since.

It is the surrealism and hypnotic draw of the story that makes this a very special cinematic masterpiece. A critique of the Hollywood system that is equal parts funny and unsettling. A disturbing look into a broken psyche and the destructive power of romantic delusions. A deconstruction of cinema and filmmaking, the alluring nature of manipulated images and sounds to evoke emotions into audiences worldwide.

Mulholland Drive is a dense film that has not aged one bit, a film that I have not been able to shake since the first time I saw it. An absolute must-watch and one of the greatest films I have ever seen, inspiring in a multitude of ways for a young director like myself. God bless David Lynch!

Story: 10

Violence & Gore: 5
Sex & Nudity: 6.5
Drugs & Profanity: 3
Intensity & Horror: 6

Follow me on YouTube, where I review movies and video games

Nicolò liked these reviews