The Dark Knight ★★★★★

Year of Release: 2008
Genres: Action Thriller; Crime; Drama
Director: Christopher Nolan
Writers: Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, David S. Goyer
Main Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Morgan Freeman, Nestor Carbonell

The only Nolan film I've seen multiple times (this is probably the 5th rewatch), and for good reason: The Dark Knight still deserves the title of one of the best superhero films ever made, and one of the greatest films ever made. Nolan's reinterpretation of Mann's Heat features stellar cinematography (though the constant switch between letterboxing and IMAX still bothers me), break-neck pacing, masterful performances from everyone, and a story that never stops being engaging and gritty. Great balance between the different tones (one of Nolan's more playful films, surprisingly enough), with memorable renditions of classic DC villains, and a Hans Zimmer score that perfectly accentuates the action and tension and highly detailed sound design (that chase halfway through is beautiful to watch and listen to).

Don't have much more to say, at this time it still is my favorite Christopher Nolan film, and undeserving of some of the hate it has garnered over the last few years. The way it literally improves on every element of the previous film (I don't mind that it ditches Gothic Gotham) and how I remembered every single scene in this is nothing short of masterful! That ending is chilling and gets to me every time.

Story: 9

Violence & Gore: 7
Sex & Nudity: 2
Drugs & Profanity: 3
Intensity & Horror: 6

Follow me on YouTube, where I review movies and video games

Nicolò liked these reviews