Suspiria

Suspiria ★★★★★

Before I began watching it I thought I was prepared. I watched it with expectation and all of a sudden it became something different. I was unprepared for the horror, the hell brought to the ground, the nightmare that was to linger after seeing the film. I had to stop halfway through because I found it too much. I considered ditching the film. Forgetting about it, but at the same time, I couldn’t get it out of my head. I kept thinking about it. Like I wanted to know more. Also, I was one of those people who can not start a film and not finish it. It is like eating half a cake and just staring at it waiting for it to be finished. It has to be eaten. It has to be finished. There was something in my brain telling me there was something more to this. Somehow, I had to see the end. I found the courage to watch it till the end and the end was stunning.

I was suffering and I was being tortured sitting through it, but it was worth it. It was as if I was trapped in Hell that had been brought to Earth. Hell was pure insanity. I was seeing red and darkness and it was disturbing and inhumane yet, in the end, I realised the Horror is beautiful. I realised there is beauty in the darkness only if your mind will let it and everything is okay in the end. Death appears in the final act and I never felt so safe with Death before. Death ended all the suffering and all the pain. This then reminded me of what Jim Morrison once said, “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over.” My thoughts on the final act was that Death was comforting and compassionate towards the poor girls who were tired and were the victims of cruel behaviours, allowing them to peacefully rest. I wasn’t scared anymore and just felt complete sadness. The film is not horror at all. No. It is tragedy.

This leads to the music of Suspiria. The music changes everything. The tone of the story. Composer Thom Yorke manages to turn sadness into something beautiful and terrible into something happy. The juxtaposition to turn something so horrific and beautiful at the same time is mysteriously satisfying and gave me mixed emotions.

I have seen many horror films in my lifetime and never one like this. It will remain a classic to me for many years to come. Please note, I do NOT urge anyone to see it as you will need a strong stomach to digest it all. If you do watch it, watch it with an open mind.

Overall, Suspiria is a terrible nightmare that is my favourite nightmare.

ksenija liked these reviews