Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★½

I honestly have no idea why I decided to watch this movie, I looked at my watchlist and was like "I'm not in the mood to watch anything here" and decided to just like. Watch Sweeney Todd I guess. I'm not a Tim Burton fan, I'm not a theater kid or anything, but like. It's kind of a Halloween-y movie and it felt like I should've seen this movie by now.

I've seen it live before so I knew the story and how it ended, and I'm fairly familiar with the music, and I feel like this was a good adaptation. The music in this show is FANTASTIC. The score and the actual musical numbers were just excellent. As annoyed with Tim Burton I get with how often he casts Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter...they really did fit these roles really well. Like I get it for this one. They definitely could've cast actual singers at the same time, but they really did do a good job. I really like Helena's softer singing voice, and honestly Johnny Depp is a pretty good singer as well. I don't dislike him as much as I used to since it came out that he's not actually abusive and I loved Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas so that made my experience a lot better.

The color scheme of this movie is really great honestly, it's basically black and white and it works so well. The use of red is really cool. Speaking of that, something in movie violence that usually bothers me is throat-slitting (perfect movie for me to watch right) but it actually didn't bother me in this since it looked really fake. I don't know if that was on purpose or not but I personally was thankful for it since I never looked away or anything.

Sacha Baron Cohen was such a good casting choice too. Also the fact that he was in this only a year after Borat came out is so funny lmao

Unfortunately the child was not a particularly good actor which is too bad since he plays a pretty important role. It's okay since he's just a kid, but like. He's in a lot of very emotional scenes that were a little ruined by his pretty blank expressions.

The costumes in this were really cool too. By The Sea in particular had really cool clothes. I'm jealous of Helena Bonham Carter for getting to wear such dope dresses in this movie

My favorite songs were probably Pretty Women or A Little Priest. Both of them were really good scenes. The tension in the scene w Pretty Women was insane too it was super well done. A Little Priest just slaps too like I'm no theater kid but I wanna listen to that on repeat soon lmao.....

The final scene/the climax were great too like I knew how it was gonna end but I still got chills!!! It had me so on edge the whole last ten minutes or so

Anyway I had a good time. Like I said I don't know what inspired me to watch this but I am glad I did. I needed to watch some more Halloween movies

KT liked these reviews