Tenet

Tenet ★★

Before I say any of my thoughts on Tenet, I just want to preface this review by saying that it is from the perspective of someone who had no idea what was going on, but I’m not sure if that was necessarily my fault. Most of Christopher Nolan’s movies are plagued with overly expository dialogue and needlessly complicated stories, but Tenet went the further step by not only having every single line of dialogue serve as exposition, but also having the plot make almost zero sense, as well as having little to no emotional beats to make up for its nonsensical story. Tenet manages to be extremely expository while also never making an effort to actually make everything clear for the audience, and that results in a movie that somehow feels both underexplained and overexplained at the same time.

The block of text above may make it seem like Tenet was the worst movie I’ve ever seen, but there were a few things that I actually liked. As usual, the cinematography, editing, and score were all terrific, even if Ludwig Göransson’s score got so loud that it made a lot of the dialogue nearly inaudible. The time bending reversal gimmick was actually kind of cool, and it distracted me from how lost I was at times. Those things didn’t distract me from how I generally disliked Tenet, though, and the overall experience felt like Nolan trying to tell me how smart he is for 2½ hours.

Abdulla liked these reviews