Palo Alto

Palo Alto ★★★½

The slow, shadowy shoegazing tune reverberates right through the very nebulous memory of high school days. The foolish youths skateboarding in the night, some reeking of weed and hectically chugging alcohol. Gia Coppola’s debut feature emotionally expresses the imperfection of growing up through a long lost teen dream.

Why do you always ask me if I'm depressed, I'm not depressed. I'm tired.

It is a fractured recollection of the golden days dominated by obnoxiously ragged characters, wreaking havoc and carefree to the max. The movie wanders around directionlessly in order to repeat the same cycle of frivolous activities. Gia delves deep into the awkwardly tumultuous relationship of each impetuous teenager, raging with uncontrollable hormones, excessive stimuli and dangerous impulses. These people are merely looking for cheap thrills...unwilling to compromise - Staying young forever by teetering on the brink of adulthood is the only way to survive in this dull and lonely Palo Alto. The moody, synthy music streamlines sadness through the rough edges of adolescence, luring us back to those days forever gone. The images of Emma Roberts in the opening scene, exhaling cigarette smoke as she stares out at the seemingly futureless Palo Alto speaks louder than ever.

I’m not Bob.